LinkedIn…It’s A Great Place to:
- Learn About the IT Career You Want
- Join Groups
- Get Connected
- And, Show Your Stuff
For high school seniors out there who have just turned, or are 18-years old, it’s time to join LinkedIn! You might have heard about LinkedIn from your parents or by word-of-mouth. It’s the most popular professional networking site out there, and has about 150 million users! Many of those users work in IT, and you can connect with them to learn more about the world of IT.
LinkedIn is great for…
- Getting in touch with college admissions counselors and fellow students before you hit campus in the fall. Once they’re part of your network, you can ask them questions about a college or university’s degree programs, internships and activities.
- Finding working professionals who are already doing what you want to do. By searching for “Computer Programmer” or “IT Security Analyst,” you can find and connect with people who can help answer your questions—and share their insights on how best to achieve success.
- Building your “brand.” Your brand is simply the unique way you present yourself to potential employers. Your skills, interests, style of working and thinking—they all contribute to your brand.
- Connecting with like-minded people. LinkedIn has over a million groups. Join an IT group and get access to information and people all suited to your specific needs.
- Don’t be intimidated! Surf the site and start gathering ideas for your own profile. You’ll be that much more ahead of the game.
Take me to LinkedIn.